Tuesday, February 1, 2011

From the top

I started writing about my son a few months before he was born. In the beginning it was just small journal entries. How I noticed his moms belly getting bigger. Each doctors appointment. Each kick. I made a decision after he was born to write a little everyday. One day I wanted him to read how much he meant to me. How I watched every little change in his appearance and demeanor. It was amazing. Still is. When Tommy was 2 and a half his mom(my wife) and I went through a horrible divorce. It was ugly. A custody battle ensued. We have both come out on the other end of it, much better people. I'd like to think we are friends now. During our divorce I uncovered a great deal about how I was raised by my adoptive parents. I have never been one to complain about anything so this book wasn't intended to throw stones at anyone other than myself. I think I have grown a great deal in the past 7 years since our divorce and one of the things I realized is that in todays age of self help books , brochures, tapes, and TV shows , none really adressed men. We as men have a hard time taking advice , and more often than not , you'll never catch any of us dead reading a self help book. I wanted this to be simple and to the point. I hope there is humor, humilliation, and little direction in this book. We as men need a little of all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment